Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Connected or Disconnected?

Have your ever paid attention to people outside? These days you hardly come across someone who is not listening to her music or talking on the phone while outside. I’d like to think that technologies were developed to keep us connected anytime and anywhere. Do they really?
We are becoming addicts, well at least I am. Addicted to being constantly connected to our circle of people! I get up early morning the first thing I do is to check my email before I even have a tea or get a chance to wash my face and I have watched few others around me and they are the same so at least I don’t feel abnormal.
If I go some where which doesn’t have internet I feel lost! Why do I feel like this? Few years ago I tried to get rid of my cell phone and go “CellLess”. How do you think that went? Well, let me tell you, not successful at all. I was partially functional. I could not even show up on a meeting/date or an event with out visiting few public phones. I needed my phone to call to check the address, the time or the location. It was horrible. Comes to think of it, I didn’t have a cell phone 6 years ago and never felt like this. Why can’t I just go back to old times!? Addicted!
Recently, I have expanded my addictions to other technologies such as laptop, iPod, and text messaging.
One question I ask myself constantly though is that are we really connected or disconnected. In my opinion we are disconnected more that being connected. Each person lives in her own “bubble”.
Have you ever tried to ask something from someone in the subway or in the street? First, you have to get their attention to bring the volume of their mp3 player down or take their headphones off so they can hear you and just then you might get an answer for your question. Usually the kind of look you get make you regret even thinking about asking them the question.
I have to confess I am one of these people, even though I just got an iPod but even before that I would always carry a book with me to read and not have to talk to anyone especially when I know I have to be on a bus/ train or a place for a long time. I don’t think I need to tell you how annoy I get when someone sits beside me and start talking!!
I believe we are becoming addicted to our “bubble” so much that we are becoming part of it. I am not sure how the future goes but looking at the current trends I am not sure I want to know!

No comments: